In 1981 Elvo Tempia founded «Fondo Edo Tempia», a non lucrative, private, autonomous, independent, apolitic charity, in order to fulfil a special desire of his son Edo, prematurely dead for melanoma.
In 2005 Fondazione Edo ed Elvo Tempia was created to support the activity of Fondo Edo Tempia and to develop cancer research, prevention and care programs, prolonging the commitment of Elvo Tempia who died in 2004.
The Foundation staff is composed by volunteers, nurses, medical doctors, epidemiologists and scientists.
The first Italian Cancer Registry and pioneer prevention studies that have become official regional screenings were launched by
Fondo Edo Tempia and are now managed by the Foundation in cooperation with the Local Health Service.
The Laboratory of Cancer Genomics was inaugurated in 2001 and its main purpose is to study the molecular alterations in tumor tissues and/or liquid biopsies by means of high-throughput genomic and transcriptomic profiling.
The laboratory has established many scientific collaborations with International and Italian Research Institutes, Universities and Hospitals. Students can attend the laboratory for educational internships, Bachelor and Master degree trainees, as well as PhDs or Specialization programs.
The lab team is multidisciplinary, with mathematicians, biologists, biotechnologists, bioinformaticians. Here the list of publications including our lab.
The main projects of the Cancer Genomics Laboratory are focused on the characterization of tumors by a molecular
point of view; this information is suitable for the selection of biomarkers able to predict tumor aggressiveness, responsiveness
to anti-tumor therapies (radio-, chemo-, and target-therapies), both in neo-adjuvant (before surgery) and in adjuvant (after
surgery) settings. Molecular profiles of cell cultures treated with different agents or of patients’ xenografts are also analyzed in the lab. Third parties services (sample processing and/or bioinformatics data analysis) are offered to external laboratories.
Ongoing research projects
- Prediction of neuroendocrine transdifferentiation in prostate cancer
- Meta-PSA: circulating metabolites in plasma in combination with PSA to detect prostate cancer with higher accuracy
- The role of a clinical decision support system based on biparametric MRI and microRNA for prostate cancer diagnosis (with IRCCS Candiolo)
- Andromeda project for the personalization of mammographic screening (with the Centre for Oncologic Prevention of Turin)
- Gene expression profiling of breast cancer in Morocco women (with Casablanca University)
- Molecular subtyping of triple negative breast cancer (with Policlinico Gemelli of Rome)
- Gene Expression Profiling and Prediction of Survival in Oropharyngeal Tumors
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Innovative Training Network (ITN)
Data analysis activity
- Exosome microRNA profiling on plasma from patients treated with Nivolumab, in collaboration with San Martino Hospital, Genova
- DNA/RNA-seq & ChIP-seq data analysis, in collaboration with University of Lausanne, IRFMN Milano and Istituto Regina Elena Roma
Equipment and analyses
The Agilent platform is used for high throughput analyses, such as gene expression, long non coding RNA (lncRNA) and miRNA
profiling, amplification/deletion analyses by comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH), copy number variations (CNV),
small nucleotides polymorphisms (SNPs), DNA methylation and transcription binding sites analysis by chromatin immunoprecipitation arrays.
A Next Generation Sequencer is shared with the Molecular Oncology Laboratory and used to perform deep sequencing.
Experimental procedures and data analysis are performed inhouse. Library preparation is also carried out for studies that require higher throughput, with sequencing performed with external collaborators and data analysis by our team. All the instruments needed for RT-qPCR analyses of nucleic acids on both tissues and plasma samples is available as well as a tissue arrayer.
Head of Laboratory:
Dr.ssa Giovanna Chiorino
tel. +39 015 351830
fax +39 015 21116
mobile: +39 3475899751